Call For Nominations - 2017 - MARTIN ENNALS AWARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
Call For Nominations - 2017
MARTIN ENNALS AWARD
HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
Deadline: 9 November 2016
Nominations can be submitted electronically at www.martinennalsaward.org
- The Award is granted annually to an individual, or exceptionally an organisation, in recognition of their commitment and ongoing efforts in the defence and promotion of human rights.
- The MEA aims to encourage individuals or organisations, particularly those who are working in conditions hostile to fundamental human rights and who are at risk and in need of protection. Special account is taken of those who combat human rights violations by courageous and innovative means.
- Nominees must be currently involved in the promotion and protection of human rights.
- Nominations are welcome from all regions, genders, and human rights related themes.
- Three Finalists are selected and announced early in the year and the Laureate is selected from among them. All three are invited to participate in the ceremony in Geneva, later in the year.
The Award is selected by the following Human Rights Organizations:OMCT
International Commission of Jurists
Human Rights Watch
Human Rights First
Front Line Defenders
The present value of the annual Award is a minimum of 20'000 Swiss Francs, to be used for further work in the field of human rights. The ceremony is hosted by the City of Geneva in late 2017. They provide each of the final three Finalists with project funds of 11’650 CHF and a 5’000 CHF travel grant.
The Award is named after Martin Ennals (1927-1991), an activist who was instrumental to the modern human rights movement and a driving force behind several organisations. His deep desire was to see more cooperation among NGOs.